1 m3 = 220 gal imp or 264 gal US

There are 1000 litres in a cubic meter (m3).

  • 1 m³ = 1000 L
  • 0,1 m³ = 100 L
  • 0,01 m³ = 10 L
  • 0,001 m³ = 1 L

1 litre = 0,2199 gal imp or 0,2642 gal US

Inch   mm
1/2"    12
5/8"    15
3/4"    20
1"       25
1½"    40
2"       50
3"       80
4"     100
6"     150
8"     200
10"   250
12"   300

In Canada, the average is 251 litres, while in Quebec, the consumption is 386 litres of water per day.*

*Source: Environment Canada's Municipal Water and Wastewater Survey

Many buyers rightly wonder whether their investment, however small it may be, is guaranteed. Well NO, only the manufacturer's warranty is valid, and very few anomalies are found since the meters are factory checked for accuracy at high, low and medium flow rates. In fact, most of them comply with AWWA (American Water Works Association) standards.

If you install your meter on a drinking water line taking into account all the manufacturer's specifications (for example: maximum pressure, flow rate, temperature of cold or hot water), you will have no problem ensuring that your meter can last for many years. If you need a meter for any other application (e. g. immersion, wet environment, unsafe "turbid" water, liquid food or chemical, etc.), be aware that each process is different, and that either by adding a screen, a drainage valve after use or otherwise, a meter model exists. For these specific cases, talk to one of our technicians who will be able to guide you and meet your needs.

Our basic meters are designed for drinking water only. However, we have several types of meters for other liquids. Here are some examples:

  • Wastewater meters ( Endress&Hauser)
  • Maple water meters (Badger Meter)
  • Oil meters (Aquametro)
  • Milk meters (Badger Meter)
  • Chemical meters (Please contact us for more information)
  • Diesel meters (Aquametro)
  • Glycol meters (Please contact us for more information)

For all these other liquids (except natural gas), we invite you to contact our specialists.
To get the right meter and to get a quick quote.
You need to know the type of liquid, its viscosity, its maximum temperature and its maximum flow rate
What types of liquids are your meters compatible with?

The first ratio refers to the internal dimension at the meter's mouthpieces. Although this terminology is still used today, it should be removed from the vocabulary of water meters and should never be considered.

The 2nd report, on the other hand, indicates the size of the inlet and outlet diameter of the meter. This is the data that must be considered for the connection to the piping.

Example: 5/8 x 1/2, 5/8 x 3/4, 3/4 x 3/4


A (5/8 x) 1/2 meter is a small flow water meter (maximum 20 US gal/min) that can be installed in residential applications with 1/2 inch piping.
A 3/4 (5/8 x) meter is a small flow water meter (maximum 20 US gal/min) that can be installed in residential applications with 3/4 inch piping.
A (3/4 x) 3/4 meter is a high flow water meter (maximum 35 US gal/min) that can be installed in commercial or residential apartment buildings with 3/4 inch piping.

First, the meter must be installed in the direction of flow indicated by a raised arrow on the housing. For optimal performance of the device, it is preferable to position the counter in a horizontal plane, with the register facing upwards. If, in this way, the register becomes impossible to read, it can be tilted 45 degrees. Never install a meter with the register on the ground.

When it is not possible to install the meter horizontally, the vertical position may be chosen, but considering that the service life and accuracy at low flow rates may be affected. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions to ensure the best possible data accuracy.

  • Propeller, single-jet, multi-jet or turbine meters must be installed horizontally (LC, LR models).
  • Volumetric meters (Badger M25, M55, M120, M170 models) can be installed horizontally or vertically.

If you only need a meter for a reading directly on the register, installed in horizontal position, you can opt for the LR model in diameters ¾ to 1½ inch.

For diameters of 2 inches and larger, the LC model will be perfectly suitable.

If you need to install the meter in a vertical position or your field of activity or installation requires that the meter be labelled NSF61 or comply with certain AWWA standards, Badger brand models (M25, M35, M55, M120, M170, etc.) will be suitable for diameters from ¾ to 4 inches.

If the liquid to be measured is other than water or you want to have a remote reading, pulse signal or other specific option, we invite you to contact one of our representatives to ensure you make the best choice for your installation.

  • What is the type of liquid: drinking water, maple water, wastewater, oil, diesel, etc.
  • Is it cold water or hot water?
  • If hot water: what is the maximum temperature?
  • What is the diameter of the pipe?
  • Is it for horizontal or vertical installation?
  • What is the maximum operating pressure?
  • In which type of building will the meter be installed?
  • Is it for a reading taken directly from the meter or a reading at another location (e. g. outside the building)?
  • Do you need the meter to emit a pulsed signal or to have a 4-20mA output?
  • Will the meter be connected to a PLC controller

Yes, it is possible to do this on certain types of meters by replacing the meter register and installing a remote reading unit, usually connected by a wire. However, some types of counters cannot be modified in these cases the complete counter will have to be replaced. It is therefore preferable to plan at the initial installation,

Yes, the meter could become unusable if it is left in an unheated room during the winter, if the water does not circulate and if the temperature drops below freezing. If it is not used during the winter, it should be completely drained of any liquid to avoid breakage.

Pulse signal

In the field of water meters, a pulsed signal is explained by a pulse of +1 for a given quantity. It is a mechanical contact signal that does not require any external power supply. The pulsed signal is a dry contact, i. e. no polarity between positive and negative.

4-20mA signal

The 4-20mA signal is a current loop also used to communicate with meters or flowmeters, consisting in circulating a current whose intensity is the transmitted signal. There is a data range similar to 0-100%, with 4 mA representing the minimum of the range, and 20 mA representing the maximum of the range, with a linear relationship between the signal to be transmitted and the current intensity. Thus, a current of 8 mA corresponds to 25% of the range.

Transistorized signal

The transistorized signal requires a direct current (VDC) voltage supply. It allows a better accuracy of the counter since the pulse is given faster than a dry contact. He uses photocell technology to transmit his pulse.